Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions about what to expect when you visit Health by Hamdon? We have compiled some of the most common queries and provided answers that will help you better understand our processes.
I'm in a lot of pain, and I don't know if I should make my first appointment with a Chiropractor, Physiotherapist, Massage Therapist, or Acupuncturist; so who should I see first?
If you’re not sure who will help you the most with your issue, we strongly suggest to see one of our Chiropractors for your initial assessment/exam. The reason is our Chiropractors not only will take a full history, perform many orthopedic tests, muscle tests, or neuro tests, but also have the capability of taking and reading X-rays here in our clinic. This will allow you to figure out what your problem is in the most efficient manner, therefore allowing you to take the necessary steps to get better, faster!
If the right path for you is Chiropractic care, then great, your already there. If the Chiropractor suggests that your health problem will first require Physical Therapy, Massage Therapy or Acupuncture, then he can just refer you down the hall within the same clinic!
This depends on the practitioner. Usually the amount of time you are here for your first assessment is as follows:
- Chiropractic first assessment: 30 minutes
- Physiotherapy first assessment: 45 minutes
- Acupuncture first assessment: 45 minutes
- Massage Therapy first assessment: Typically your massage therapy assessment is anywhere from a couple of minutes to 10 minutes, then you would have the actual massage therapy session ranging from 30 minutes to 90 minutes (you would choose how long your massage therapy session is when booking the appointment).
Yes, if it is deemed that you will benefit from one of our many available treatment strategies, then a treatment is usually administered within your assessment appointment, with your consent of course. This is the same for all practitioners, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy and Acupuncture.
Do I need a prescription from my family doctor to make an appointment or become a patient at Health by Hamdon?
No, you DO NOT need a prescription to become a patient at Health by Hamdon. This is the case for any practitioner that you may see here, Chiropractor, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy or Acupuncture. A prescription is ONLY needed to direct bill certain insurance companies for MASSAGE THERAPY and ACUPUNCTURE ONLY.
Yes. We require 24 hours notice to cancel, or reschedule an appointment.
If 24 hour notice is not given, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged to you.
Now, we always try to be very considerate to special circumstances such as weather or illness, so let us know why you couldn’t give us 24 hour notice, and we may not have to charge you the 50% percent fee.
This depends slightly on what type of treatment or who you are seeing at Health by Hamdon. See below:
- Chiropractor – Your everyday attire is usually okay. Whether you are coming from work, from the gym or from home, it doesn’t matter too much. Generally speaking you just want to be comfortable.
- Physiotherapy – Usually loose, comfortable clothing, or gym like attire is best.
- Acupuncture – Usually loose, comfortable clothing, or gym like attire is best.
- Massage Therapy – Typically you will remove your outer clothes (underwear stays on) but this is to your comfort level. Keep in mind you are ALWAYS draped with sheets and the only area of your body exposed to the massage therapist is the area being worked on.
Do I have to see the Chiropractor before I see a Massage therapist/Physical therapist/Acupuncturist?
No, you are more then welcome to book an appointment with whichever practitioner you think may benefit your condition or overall health.
Although, sometimes you may only need to see one practitioner type, Chiropractic Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy or Acupuncture; we do take pride in our “team like environment”.
So, regardless of who you see first, we may suggest that you see one of our other team members to further enhance your progression and make you feel as best as possible. This would only be with your consent however, as you will be the most important part in your plan to recovery and optimal health!
Yes, you absolutely can. From special tables to pregnancy pillows, we can accommodate most pregnant woman so they can benefit from our care. A lot of pregnant women do come in during their pregnancy to help minimize any pain, and keep their bodies primed for the birth of their child. So, you can absolutely come in for treatment as long as you are comfortable with it.
Note: It is recommended that pregnant woman wait until they reach their 2nd trimester (12 weeks) before having a massage.
No, absolutely not. Although the Chiropractors at Health by Hamdon do “crack” patients sometimes, it is not the main treatment strategy that is implemented with patients. Also, a thorough exam is ALWAYS done, which includes in house digital X-rays, with EVERY patient, and if it is concluded that the patient should not be cracked, then they won’t be. But ultimately it is ALWAYS up to the patient which treatment strategy is used to help them.